At Rainbow Municipal Water District, we are committed to excellence as we provide our customers with reliable, high-quality water and wastewater services in a fiscally sustainable manner. We are responsible for the distribution of safe drinking water to customers in our 82-square mile service area that includes the unincorporated communities of Rainbow, Bonsall, and parts of Vista, Oceanside, and Fallbrook. We make a difference in our community, and we are passionate about operating in alignment with our core values of integrity, responsibility, professionalism, innovation, and teamwork. Are you committed to excellence too?
If you share our commitment to excellence and our core values, then our current job opening for a Utility Worker in our Construction Department could be right for you. In this job, you would perform a variety of construction-related tasks including the installation, maintenance, repair and operation of water mains, service lines, fire hydrants, valves, pumps, and motors used to collect, pump, distribute, treat, and store water.
* The District is accepting applications for Utility Workers at level I, II, or III. The actual hiring grade will be determined by the qualifications of the selected candidate.
What would a typical day be like?
Essential Functions (% of time):
- Inspects, maintains, and repairs pipeline and pipeline facilities, service lines, fire hydrants, valves, blow offs, air vacs, Cla-Val type control valves, pressure regulators, and other components of the water distribution systems. (25%)
- Operates construction vehicles and equipment including dump trucks, backhoes, skip loading equipment, excavation equipment, trenchers, hydraulic shoring equipment, jackhammers and digging spades, pneumatic tampers and compactors. (15-20%)
- Prepares job sites; cleans up job sites, shop, and office. (15%)
- Controls traffic at job sites. (10-15%)
- Backfills trenches, completes roadwork, and makes asphalt and concrete repairs including estimating the cost of such repairs. (5-10%)
- Participates in safety and other training. (5%)
- Performs welding repairs on pipelines and maintains welding equipment. (<5%)
- Inspects and cleans construction vehicles and equipment. (<5%)
- Maintains District buildings and grounds. (<5%)
Additional Duties: (5-10%)
- Performs water main taps under pressure or following main shutdowns for service connection laterals on water mains.
- Installs and repairs water meters, meter boxes, and vaults.
- Other duties as assigned.
Who is the ideal candidate?
- A High School Diploma or equivalent is required.
- A current Water Distribution Operator D1 Certificate is preferred but not required; employee will be expected to pursue this Certificate within 6 months of employment.
- A Commercial Class "A" Commercial Driver's License with air brake and tanker endorsements with no major infractions is preferred but not required.
- A current AWS D1.1 Welding Certificate is preferred but not required.
- An AA or coursework towards an AA in Water Distribution or related field is preferred but not required.
- 1-2 years of experience in construction working on roads, pipelines, or similar is required.
- 1-2 years of experience in landscaping is a plus.
- 1 year of experience using backhoes and excavators is preferred but not required.
- Experience in pipeline welding is preferred but not required.
- Experience using GIS software is preferred but not required.
To view the full job posting and submit an application, click here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/rainbowmwd/jobs/2077508/utility-worker-construction