Civil Engineer III (Non-Union Position)
The City of Champaign seeks qualified candidates for a career opportunity as a Civil Engineer III in the Public Works Department.
Responsibilities of Position
Duties for this position include (but are not limited to): identification of sanitary sewer issues and development of solutions; planning and budgeting of sanitary improvements; development of construction plans and specifications for routine projects; managing engineering consultants and construction contractors; construction observation; sanitary sewer system modeling; communicating with contractors, project partners, property owners, and stakeholders; attending neighborhood meetings and making public presentations.
• Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university.
• At least six years of experience as a Civil Engineer.
• Master's degree in Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited college or university and four years of experience is an acceptable substitution.
• Professional Engineer registration in the State of Illinois or in another state with the ability to obtain Illinois registration within six months of hire.
• Availability to work outside of normal work hours as needed.
• Experience with field surveying, development of construction plans and specifications, construction standards, and construction observation.
• A current, valid driver's license issued by the State of Illinois or the ability to obtain within 90 days of date of hire.
• Master’s degree in an applicable branch of Civil Engineering, Business or Public Administration.
• Previous engineering experience in a municipal, county, state or Federal government agency.
• Previous customer service experience with engineering problem assessment, project management and delivery.
• Previous project management experience (e.g. planning, cost estimating, budgeting, and implementation) with public sanitary infrastructure improvement projects.
• Experience supervising the work of a team or work unit.
• Basic knowledge of engineering specific software (e.g. CAD, GIS, SWMM).
Drug screening will be required.
The annual starting salary range is $81,875 - $93,211, DOQ, plus an excellent fringe benefits package. Applications, including a cover letter and resume, must be submitted online no later than Sunday, July 29, 2018.
The City’s mission is to provide responsive, caring, cost-effective service in partnership with our community. The following values guide our work: Personal Integrity, Responsibility, Respect, Teamwork, Results. The City of Champaign is committed to promoting a work environment and a community that values and supports diversity and inclusion. To apply, visit the City’s Jobs page at champaignil.gov/jobs. The City of Champaign is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. The following locations offer free Internet access and assistance: Champaign Public Library, Champaign Public Library Douglass Branch and the Illinois WorkNet Center.