City of San Jose Department of Transportation
Go to http://www.sanjoseca.gov/index.aspx?NID=708 to apply for the following position with the City of San José
Job Title: Maintenance Superintendent-DOT Sewers
Job ID: 4195
Salary Min: $86091.20
Salary Max: $104832.00
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Close Date: Open until filled
About the Department
The City of San José, the Capital of Silicon Valley, is one of the nation's best managed cities and one of the top ten cities in which to live, work, and do business. Moreover, San José is the center of cultural, government and economic activity for the region. The employees of the City of San José have embraced the following values: Integrity, Innovation, Excellence, Collaboration, Respect and Celebration.
The City's Department of Transportation is seeking an individual whose values align with the values of the City's employees.
The Department of Transportation (DOT) plans, develops, operates, and maintains transportation facilities, services, and related systems which contribute to the livability and economic health of the City. We comprise a team of more than 400 people ready to serve the needs of our customers to improve the efficiency and safety of San José streets. For more information about DOT, visit www.sanjoseca.gov/transportation.
Position and Duties
The Department of Transportation (DOT) is seeking a Maintenance Superintendent for the Sanitary and Storm Sewer Services Sections. This position is responsible for the supervision and management of six sections in the Sanitary and Storm Sewer Services Division with a combined staffing level of approximately 100 maintenance employees. Each section provides a vital role in the operations, maintenance and repair of the City's sanitary pipes to minimize sanitary sewer backups.
Sanitary and Storm Sewer Sections:
- Two LINE CLEANING sections (East and West): Performs the necessary cleaning of the sanitary sewer pipes to minimize sanitary sewer backups.
- SEWER REPAIR section: Provides the necessary spot repairs of the City's sanitary laterals and mainlines.
- PUMPS section: takes care of the operations, maintenance and repair of the City's storm and sanitary pump stations.
- SWING SHIFT section: Responds to general, sanitary and storm sewer complaints from 3:00 pm to 11:30 pm, 7 days a week.
- VIDEO section: Videotapes the sanitary and storm sewers to pinpoint where repairs are needed. In addition, this section also provides general, sanitary and storm complaint response during the graveyard shift.
The primary goals of the Sanitary and Storm Sewers program are to minimize sanitary sewer overflows and blockages through proactive and reactive maintenance and timely repairs. This position has seven direct reports: six (6) Maintenance Supervisors and one Senior Office Specialist.
Principal areas of responsibility include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Plan, assign, direct and evaluate the work of supervisors and maintenance staff in the Sewer Maintenance Core Service
- Lead and motivate staff through encouragement of skill development, training opportunities and application of recognition programs
- Increase efficiency and capacity of work crews to meet ambitious performance targets
- Implement a Strategic Business Model approach to provide for the most efficient and effective utilization of available resources
- Lead the effort to improve and ensure safe working conditions and practices
- Manage the completion of the development of Safe Operating Procedures for sewer maintenance crews, and ensure compliance with all safety regulations and guidelines
- Meet or exceed established performance targets in sewer maintenance
- Timely completion of special projects
This recruitment may be used to fill multiple positions in this, or other divisions or departments. Additional vacancies are expected from future retirements. DOT anticipates selecting from this candidate pool. If you are interested in employment in this classification, you should apply to ensure you are considered for additional opportunities that may utilize the applicants from this recruitment.
Any combination of training and experience equivalent to:
EDUCATION: Completion of high school.
EXPERIENCE: Six (6) years experience in the construction, maintenance, and repair of streets, sewers, parks, and public facilities including at least three (3) years of supervisory experience at the level of Maintenance Supervisor.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATES: May require State of California certification for the use of chemicals and pesticides. Possession of a valid California driver's license.
EMPLOYMENT ELIGIBILITY: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will not prepare or file a labor condition application with the Dept. of Labor.
The ideal candidate will possess the following competencies, as demonstrated in past and current employment history. Desirable competencies for this position include:
JOB EXPERTISE - demonstrates knowledge of and experience with applicable professional/technical/safety principles and practices, Citywide and departmental procedures/policies and federal and state rules and regulations
- Experience with establishing and coordinating an effective safety program
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures in equipment maintenance work
- Ability to manage day-to-day operational activities and workload associated with a maintenance section
- Knowledge of SSMP
TEAM WORK & INTERPERSONAL SKILLS - develops effective relationships with co-workers and supervisors by helping others accomplish tasks and using collaboration and conflict resolution skills
PROBLEM SOLVING - approaches a situation or problem by defining the problem or issue; determines the significance of problem(s); collects information; uses logic and intuition to arrive at decisions or solutions to problems that achieve the desired outcome.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT - ensures support for projects and implements agency goals and strategic objectives.
PROVIDING DIRECTION - identifies a clear, motivating, challenging vision, and direction; builds architecture to implement that vision and direction and empowers and enables organizational members to carry out and implement that vision.
LEADERSHIP - leads by example; demonstrates high ethical standards; remains visible and approachable and interacts with others on a regular basis; promotes a cooperative work environment, encourages and rewards risk-taking, allowing others to learn from mistakes.
CONSTRUCTIVE ENERGIES - A demonstration of energy and drive that comes from within, and a willingness to approach all aspects of work with a generally positive attitude. The inclination to independently take appropriate action rather than waiting to be told what to do. Examples of Constructive Energies include but are not limited to: Initiative, Honesty, Integrity, Empathy, Dedication, Reliability, Proactiveness, Respectfulness, Confidence, Ethical Behavior, Willingness to help others, Commitment to personal skills development and growth.
COMMUNICATION SKILLS - communicates and listens effectively and responds in a timely, effective, positive and respectful manner; written reports and correspondence are accurate, complete, current; well-organized, legible, concise, neat, and in proper grammatical form.
The selection process will consist of an evaluation of the applicant's training and experience based on the application and responses to the Job Specific Questions. Only the candidates whose backgrounds best match the position will be invited to proceed in the selection process. Additional phases of the selection process will consist of one or more interviews, one of which may include a practical/writing exercise.
You will be prompted to answer the following job-specific questions during the online application process:
1. Do you have six (6) years of experience in the construction, maintenance, and repair of streets, sewers, parks, and/or public facilities? If yes, please describe.
2. Have you completed high school, GED certificate or California Proficiency certificate?
3. Do you have at least three (3) years of supervisory experience at the level of Maintenance Supervisor? If yes, please describe.
4. Do you have a valid California driver's license? If no, please indicate if you possess a valid driver's license authorizing operation of a motor vehicle in another state and indicate from what state.
5. Do you have experience aligning your own strategies and goals with those of the organization? If so, describe an alignment process you have led in which you aligned your own strategies and goals with those of the organization and your staff for the purpose of improving some aspect of your organization, section or work unit.
6. Do you have experience taking action without the direction of your supervisor to improve service delivery or performance of your work unit? If yes, please provide a specific example of actions that you have taken and the overall improvement of service delivery or performance in your work unit.
7. Do you have experience working with performance measures? If yes, please describe and include the following: the types of data your current work group collects to measure performance, how the data is used and what performance measures are currently in place, and what, if any, additional data and/or analysis you feel would be valuable to you or your section in order to gain a better understanding of the group's performance.
8. Do you have experience working with diminishing resources? If yes, describe how you would, for a complex organization in a limited resource environment, go about determining the optimal allocation of resources that would yield the least negative impact on critical service delivery as possible. If you are familiar with the DOT Pavement Maintenance program or DOT's Sanitary Storm and Sewer Program, you may use this program in your response. If not, you may use another similar situation of your choosing.
9. Do you want to be considered for both positions?
Please list your interest IN ORDER OF PREFERENCE of the position by typing the description as provided below:
Position 1: Pavement
Position 2: Sewers
Based on the job descriptions provided in the announcement, please include any related education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to satisfactorily perform the duties of the job for each position you are interested in applying for.
You may answer these questions directly in the on-line application system (Save frequently) or on a separate document and then copy and paste your answers into the appropriate spaces when prompted.
You must answer all job-specific questions in order to be considered for this vacancy or your application will be deemed incomplete and withheld from further consideration.
If you have questions about the duties of these positions, the selection or hiring processes, please contact Yolie Vazquez, DOT Personnel Analyst at firstname.lastname@example.org. or (408) 975-3204.
Submission of a resume is optional. The Education History and Work History sections of the application must be completed or the application will be considered to be incomplete and may be withheld from further consideration. If you do submit a resume, please save and submit as either a .doc or .pdf format and not .docx or zipped files.
E-mail is the default method of communication with applicants. To ensure that you receive timely notification regarding your application status, please provide a current e-mail address when submitting your application. It is also recommended that you adjust any spam filters to ensure that you can receive e-mails from @sanjoseca.gov.
The application deadline is11:59 PM on the final filing date. Please allow adequate time to complete the application and submit before the deadline or the system may not save your application.
If your online application was successfully submitted, you will receive an automatic confirmation email to the email address you provided. IF YOU DO NOT RECEIVE THE CONFIRMATION, please email CityJobs@sanjoseca.gov and we will research the status of your application.
Employees in this classification are represented by Association of Maintenance Supervisory Personnel (AMSP).
Back to Job List
Apply to this Job